I just finished reading this book and its great way to kick off the new year. If you are looking to up your game in life, check it out !
13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do
This book caught my attention from Amy Morin’s Ted Talk about becoming mentally strong. The description used the analogy that we have to build mental strength just like physical strength. I am into working out my physical body by doing yoga, hiking, jogging, etc, but I never had the thought that you could work out your mind in the same way. There have been some areas in my life where I want to make changes, but I always seem to get stuck or not get very far or just get bored quickly and not getting the results I wanted So after hearing Amy’s Ted talk, I picked up this book to see what she was talking about. The thirteen things are:
1) Don’t waste your time feeling sorry for yourself
2) Don’t give away your power
3) Don’t shy away from change
4) Don’t focus on things you cannot control
5) Don’t worry about pleasing everyone
6) Don’t fear taking calculated risks
7) Don’t Dwell on the past
8) Don’t make the same mistakes over and over
9) Don’t resent others success
10) Don’t give up after the first failure
11) Don’t fear alone time
12) Don’t feel the world owes you anything
13) Don’t expect immediate results
Whether you are trying to start a new business, facing a layoff, dealing with family members, trying to work out more, whatever it is you are trying to do, this book can help you.
At then end of each chapter there is a summary of what to do and what not to do, and there are tips through out the book that you can apply to just about any situation in life. Amy is a licensed clinical social worker, college professor and psychotherapist, she has a wide range of inexperience that she put to use in this book.
A few areas in my life needed a little kick in the pants, and this book has helped me move my goals into high gear !
I am going to a few blog posts on the 13 things coming soon !